Re: NFS error?

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 09:43:36PM +0100, Thomas M. wrote:

:  I'm trying to boot an old 386 diskless. It runs until it prints 'entering
: runlevel 3', then i get the following message printed continuosly on the
: screen:
: NFS: notice message : result = -101

:  I can't find any refferences to this error anywhere.. Any experts here???

I'm no expert, but this happened to me, too.

What happened is that I had done a quick and dirty root setup, just to see
if I could get the thing working.  I copied the root directory of the server
into a directory and editing the proper files (fstab, etc.).  What I had
forgotten about was /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.  (This was
a Redhat box.)

Anyway, it'd boot mostly up, and then do exactly what yours does.  The
problem was that it was trying (and succeeding!) to reconfigure the IP
address of the system to match the server (it was the server's config, after
all).  It then tried to mount its filesystems from itself, and exploded.

Once I removed the ifcfg-eth0 file, everything worked fine.

--
Cloyce D. Spradling             Speaking for myself, not IBM
cloyce@austin.ibm.com